How to Consign
- Designer, Name Brand, & Better Quality Merchandise for Women, Men, Teens, Plus, & Children
- •Quality Accessories (especially handbags/shoes/boots)
- Prom/Pageant from Nov-March (Cullman location only)
- Home Décor & Accent Furniture (Decatur location only)
- Current Styles Only – no more than 2-3 years old
- Freshly laundered, pressed, and on a hanger
Best selling Brands:
- Michael Kors
- Tory Burch
- Ivy Jane
- Uncle Frank
- Judith March
- Diba True
- Kate Spade
- Dooney & Bourke
- Matilda Jane
- Ann Taylor
- Ralph Lauren
- giggle moon
- J. Jill
- . . . . And so many more . . . .
What We Take:
Accepting an item requires that Better Than Before be confident it will sell. That confidence comes with 20 years’ experience and a basic knowledge of what our customers are looking for. Our decision to turn an item away should never be perceived as personal. We have simply learned through trial and error what will and will not sell. You may have paid a great sum for a beautiful suit several years ago, but in today's market, that same suit may not be in high demand. Being over or under-stocked will certainly impact the number of items we are able to accept as well. Consignment items are most-frequently turned away due to:
- Older style
- Not pressed or on hangers
- Stained, damaged, missing buttons, broken zippers
- Smoke/moth ball odors, pet hair
- Excessive wear/fading
- Wedding gowns/bridesmaids dresses
- Mens suits/sport coats
- Underarm stains
- Excessive inventory
When We Take It:
|January/February||Heavy Spring/transitional merchandise
Light-weight long sleeves, ¾ length sleeves
Mid-weight fabrics but lighter colors
Short sleeves, ¾ length sleeves
Light-weight fabrics, capris, shorts
|May/June||Summer – all things light & breezy
Tank tops, short sleeves
Mid-weight fabrics but darker colors
Dark Colors, Sweaters, Jackets
Wool, Cordouroy, Layering Pieces
|Nov/Dec||Winter – Heaviest of Fabrics
|*Halloween/Thanksgiving merchandise should be brought in September
*Christmas/Holiday merchandise should be brought in October
How We Take It:
- 90 day contract period.
- 50/50 split on general merchandise.
- 60/40 split on formalwear.
- No minimum or maximum
- Walk-ins welcome for 15 items or less.
- Appointments preferred for more than 15 items.
- Price reductions every 30 days. Markdown exceptions are occasionally negotiable with certain couture and designer items.
- Better Than Before will price your garments based on current market prices and past selling history of similar items. It is our desire to make our consignors a maximum return on their items while still providing the customer with a significant bargain. Each item is evaluated independently. Factors such as brand, style, age, condition, demand, and showroom space will play a role in pricing. We certainly appreciate consignors' input with particularly expensive or unique items.
- •While purchasing outright is occasionally negotiable, we are extremely selective on these items. It has been our experience that clients see much higher profit long term through consignment rather than buy-out programs.
What Happens After the Sale:
- Consignment checks - monthly on the 10th for sales of the previous month.
- Check mail option with SASE or $1 mail fee.
- Account balances always available for in-store purchases!
- End-of-contract unsold merchandise can be claimed/picked up w/ a 2-day notice.
- Unclaimed, end-of-contract merchandise will be clearanced or donated to charity.